Information for Artists
Holiday for the Arts 2023
Gala: Friday, October 20, 5:30-9 pm
Show & Sale: Saturday, October 21 & Sunday, October 22, 10am-5pm
Thank you for your interest in participating in this year’s Show and Sale. Please read all of this information carefully (even returning artists!), and if you have any questions, contact our Artist Contact: Roberta Moody, 510-915-2266, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Artists, feel free to use any of these advertising materials in publicizing your participation in the event.
Information for returning artists
As you will be submitting items in the same category as the previous show, you do not need to participate in the screening of new artists. The process for returning artists will be the same as in the past (see below). If you are bringing items that are similar to previous shows, but possibly a different size or format, please check with Roberta to be sure you do not need to go through the screening. Sometimes an item you think is similar may not be appropriate for our event.
Information for all artists
Artists accepted into the show will be supplied with inventory sheets in mid-August, along with a suggested number of pieces to provide. This number will be the maximum you may submit and is determined based on your sales at previous events, as well as the total number of items and artists in your category. You may choose to submit fewer items, but please do not exceed our specified maximum. When you receive the inventory sheet, you will be provided with detailed instructions and deadlines for submitting your final information. In summary, you give us an itemized list of what you will bring to the show, along with prices. We’ll provide coded price tags for you to apply to items before you submit them (either peel-off labels or tags on a string that can be tied onto items).
Artists will be asked to deliver their work to the Olive Hyde Gallery during the week prior to the show, on Check-in Day, which is Tuesday, October 17, 2023. You will be assigned a specific time, as we will have people receiving your work, confirming it against inventory lists, etc. Artists will pick up unsold work on Check-out Day, which is Tuesday, October 24, 2023, again at a specified time. See FAQs below, for more details.
As always, we try hard to maintain this show’s reputation of offering only high-quality, ORIGINAL work. At this time, we are not allowing anything mass-produced & with the exception of greeting cards, where the artist did the original work (painting, photo, etc.). Photographers need to be aware that only original photos, no duplicates are accepted. Similarly, we can’t accept items such as coffee mugs or coasters which are printed copies of original work. The guild is accepting giclees with specific instructions enclosed when acceptance letters and inventory sheets are sent. If you have questions about this, please contact our Artist Contact.
Information for new artists
New artists’ work will be screened online this year.
Judging of the new work will be by a jury composed of Guild members who are artists or have past experience working at the show. Criteria used in the selection are quality, originality, and salability (will it sell in our market for the price asked?). Please share a photo of each type of work you plan to sell.
- We do not handle items priced under $3.00.
- We only handle items that are priced evenly ($10.00, not $10.25).
- Have the front of each piece identified with the price you would charge. Remember that 30% of the sale price goes to the Guild & make sure you have taken that into consideration when pricing your items.
- The samples you submit for screening do not necessarily need to be the exact item(s) you plan to sell, but should be representative.
Virtual Screening Details
The deadline to submit artwork for this screening is July 7, 2023.
- Photos are uploaded on the online form, a gallery will be set up, judges will evaluate online and convene to discuss what is accepted. Accepted artists will be notified by email.
- Procedure for uploading photos.
- Choose no more than 4 to 5 pieces representing your work.
- Take 2 to 3 close-up photos showing front and back.
- Label each item and include price and dimensions.
- Place items on a plain table or flat surface, without any distracting background.
- Have good lighting, such as natural lighting near a window.
- Rename files to include the artist’s first and last name.
- All digital images must be in JPG format, at least 300 dpi.
- Images must be at least 600px x 800px.
- File size must be 5MB or less, to ensure proper uploading.
Frequently Asked Questions
When will I be notified of screening results?
- Artists will be notified within one week after the screening, whether or not their work has been accepted.
I will not be able to personally deliver my work to the Olive Hyde Gallery on Check-in Day (the week before the show). What can I do?
- If you have been accepted to participate, but will not be able to personally deliver your work (perhaps you live out of town, or will be unavailable on that day), you may have someone else deliver it at your scheduled time, or you may arrange to ship it to us ahead of time.
I will not be able to personally pick up my work after the show. Will you send it to me?
- If we will need to ship work back to you because you live outside of the Bay Area, arrangements must be made prior to the show.
- If you live locally but are unable to pick up work at your scheduled time, we can arrange to hold your work for later pick-up, or you can arrange for someone else to pick it up for you.
Are artists required to attend the show, or work during the show?
- No, the Guild members handle all of the logistics of the show, and artists don’t need to do anything beyond deliver their work for sale. We still hope you will join us at some point during the weekend, especially the Friday night Gala!
What are the arrangements for getting paid for my items after the show?
- When artists come to pick up their unsold work, they will be given a check for their share of the sales generated from their items, as well as a detailed accounting of which items were sold.
If you have any questions or require a time change or special arrangements, please contact the Artist Contact.